The Blackline Academy : A school for GFX. Teaching you, teaching me.

Clip Masks, etc.

Caaarl
    Noob!

Man Points : 0

Clip Masks, etc.

Post  Caaarl on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions:

1. Clip Masks. What is their use? Are they just used to fill in space, or what? Most of the time in tuts I look at, they say clip mask this, clip mask that... I never notice what they're actually doing.. :\

And

2... Damn it. I forgot the second one. Oh well. That can be the first question, and I'll just add to my section later. XD
    zenron
    Admin

Man Points : 12

Re: Clip Masks, etc.

Post  zenron on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:10 am

We really need to know what program you use Carl. How to implement them is different for the two major programs that people use for sig making.

I can describe what a clipping mask is though, as that's consistent across programs. All it is covering the pixels of one layer with the content of another. So it retains the shape of the bottom layer but the content of the top one.
    Caaarl
    Noob!

Man Points : 0

Post  Caaarl on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:29 am

I use Photoshop (CS2).

And using them is for the purpose of.. texture? or wha? The tut I watched, the guy used them, and to me it looked weird. It's hard to explain for me, since I don't know all the lingo. XD
    zenron
    Admin

Man Points : 12

Post  zenron on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:30 am

Ok, try this:

First of all, go download some splatter brushes(search it on deviantart to get them). Then use your splatter brushes while making a sig on a new layer. Next, make a new layer and right click on it(on the layer dialogue box) and click on "create a clipping mask". Then you'll be able to see what happens from there if you mess around with the new layer and add stuff to it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content